Deacon Pat's Books

Deacon Pat's Books
The sale of our books help support our mission / projects. Click on any of the book photos above to see our book site.

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Cost of an education in Guatemala


Each January begins and new school year here in Guatemala. The national schools are free but there is a Q70 ($9 US) enrollment fee that must be paid. Also, the students are given a list of supplies that they MUST buy to attend school. Here is one of the lists for third grade.


Here is the list for first grade. 

The supplies can cost between (Q100 - Q150) $15-$20


For families just trying to put food on the table each day this is overwhelming.


We did receive some donations of school supplies from "Little Man Ice Cream" in Denver, Colorado, but there just isn't enough to help as many as we would like.


If you think you would like to help, even $5, please do so at www.CatholicMission.net 

I met a group of kids on the street yesterday and they all told me how happy they were that school was starting on monday. One of the kids pointed to a larger boy and said that he wasn't going to go to school this year, That he is lazy. (I think he was joking). The boy's name is Patricio. 

However, as I inquired as to why he wasn't going to school, they hesitantly said that the family didn't have the money to buy the required supplies. I almost broke down in tears seeing the young man that wouldn't be going to school, He was only 10 years old, and probably the nicest of the group. He tried to smile as he heard what his friends shared, but I could see the sadness in his eyes and the tears forming. I said "School is important." and he quickly responded, "Yes, it truly is." I told him that I am a missionary and I that I do not have any money but I would ask my friends if they could help. Immediately he smiled and said, "Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read our blog. Please pray for Liz and me and for our mission. May you be filled always with God's love. Deacon Pat