Deacon Pat's Books

Deacon Pat's Books
The sale of our books help support our mission / projects. Click on any of the book photos above to see our book site.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Our Sunday in Santa Cruz La Laguna, Guatemala


We were told that there would Mass or a Service at 3:00 pm today in the village church. 3:00 pm came and went and there still wasn't a priest. I noticed that at 3:15 pm a young man walked just outside the door and made a phone call. I assume it was to the priest and by the reaction I also assumed that he wasn't going to be able to make it today. 

I am not sure if this is a common occurrence or not. Someone did say that the visiting priest can only come once a month. However, in a matter of minutes the service began. I was amazed that three young adults, probably the age of my kids, or ever younger, ran the entire service: Singing, Reading, and even a Sermon-like talk. The young man translate on the fly something written in Spanish and delivered it in the native language. I am still so impressed how this small community keeps the faith alive even without a clergy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -

"Hey! Let's Take a Hike!

Since Mass wasn't scheduled until 3:00 pm I asked Liz if she wanted to go on a hike. I guess our idea of relaxation differs at times. You got it! She declined and maybe she is all the wiser. 


I planned for a nice little walk this morning and when I had the great idea to take a different route back home.....well, just let me say that it was not wise to not take water on what turned out to be a 2 1/2 hour hike on a warm day at 5000 feet elevation and eventually needing to climb a mountain to return home. But hey, 2 hours later and after a cold shower and lot of water I am good again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read our blog. Please pray for Liz and me and for our mission. May you be filled always with God's love. Deacon Pat